Thursday, July 1, 2010

here comes Michael Boonstra





Burnt forests and flooded landscapes have been the subject matter of my drawings in recent years. These are landscapes altered by relatively short-lived events, oftentimes taking place so suddenly that they are difficult to comprehend and absorb. I am interested in what comes next. The blurred memory of what was, and the experience of seeing the landscape adjust to its changed circumstances. Trees begin to grow, roots begin to take hold, pools of floodwater recede and evaporate. The drawings I am working on refer to this kind of landscape, but over time I reorganize it by drawing it to different scales with different materials in different places. --Michael Boonstra

Complete artist statement is here

1 comment:

  1. very interesting project...I like it - g hulswit

    ReplyDelete